What Documents Do I Need to Renew My Green Card?

Photo of individual filling out form

Resources related to “What documents do I need to renew my Green Card?

Renewing your Green Card can take around 10 to 12 months but if there are any errors with your documentation it can take significantly longer. No one wants to wait that long for something this vital. That’s why it’s so important to get your documents correct from the beginning.

What documents do you need to renew your Green Card?

You’ll be pleased to know that you don’t require anything additional to the items you produced in your original application. You can also complete your renewal application online or by mail.

Your Current Green Card

For a standard Green Card renewal, the most important document to include is your current green card, whether it is due to expire soon or even if it has already expired. Authorities can see by the date that your reason for a Green Card renewal is genuine and your application will be processed quicker.

Renewing For Different Reasons

If your Green Card is not due to expire and you are requesting a replacement for different reasons, such as if your green card was lost or stolen, there are several supporting documents you need to supply as evidence for your I-90 application.

If Your Card Was Lost or Stolen

If you no longer have your Green Card but it is still within a valid date range, you will need documentation endorsed by the government to prove your identity which includes all of the following details:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • photograph
  • signature

The sorts of Government-issued ID documents that contain these details include a passport, a driver’s license, or Military ID.

If Your Green Card Was Damaged or Destroyed

It may be that you still have your Green Card but it has been damaged beyond recognition. This happens more often than you might think. While it can still be beneficial to send away your Green Card with your application as proof of its destruction, you will need to supply more supporting evidence.

Again, this document should be supplied by the government and show your name, date of birth, signature, and a recent photograph from a passport, driver’s license, or military ID.

If Your Green Card Was Issued But Not Received

A surprising number of people never receive their Green Card even after it has been issued by USCIS. This could happen for all manner of reasons, such as a change of address after the application was completed.

If this applies to you, you will need to provide the standard government-issued ID, such as a passport, driver’s license or military ID. You will also need to provide a further document which can be either your latest form I-797 (“Notice of Action”) or your passport page which includes an I-551 stamp.

If You Change Your Name

Many people will require a new Green Card after changing their name or personal information. For example, this may be after getting married or divorced or, in the case of children, being adopted. The documents required in this situation will depend on your reason for the name change, but you will need to provide legal documents as proof.

If you change your name, you will need to send away your existing Green Card as well as whatever legal documents are required to show your new or correct name or personal information. For example, this could be a marriage certificate, divorce papers, birth certificate, adoption papers, your passport, or other court documents depending on the case.

If You Work In US But Live In Canada or Mexico

Many people require a new Green Card for them to commute across the border to undertake their employment duties. If this applies to you, you will need to present your Green Card and proof of your employment for the previous six months. This could take the form of a letter of verification completed by your employer or even your pay stubs.

You Moved To The US After Commuting

If you choose to live in the US after commuting across the border from Mexico or Canada, you will also need to produce your current Green Card as well as proof of your residency in the US.

This evidence could include a lease agreement, property deeds, or even utility bills in your name that have been dated within the last six months. If your bills are in your spouse’s name, you can also provide your marriage certificate.

Do Not Send Originals

In all cases above, you are advised not to send your original documentation. Photocopies will be suitable. If any of your documents are not written in English, you will also need to provide a certified translation alongside the document with your I-90 form.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *